Saturday 18 October 2014

Time Flies

 
So we're now in October and next month our little boy, the light of our lives turns 1. Although the blog posts have been growing more and more sparse of late (I'm busy being a mummy!) that's not to say that things aren't changing in Harrison's world. Now a proficient crawler, he has been using his newfound skills to scale the furniture, attempting to climb onto things and generally exploring every inch of our home. Baby proofing has become a hot topic, especially as Harrison's danger radar homes in on whatever is the least appropriate thing to play with in the room and tells him to go touch! Or worse - eat! I pulled chips of wood out from his mouth the other week which he'd picked off the logs in the fireplace. Gross. 

J has made this for the fireplace:


to cover the very porous bricks. It's done a fantastic job of cushioning our little man's expeditions round the fireplace, but has also aided his mission somewhat as he uses it as a step to scale the wall...

In other news, I turned 30 years old on the 1st October. We celebrated by heading to Cornwall and staying in a gorgeous log cabin by Forest Holidays. We had a log burner and hot tub, it was so wonderful. Harrison got his first ever experience of paddling around in a pool. He was unsure at first but grew to like it when he realised he could splash us in our faces. 


We had lots of fun visiting the Eden Project, the Lost Gardens of Heligan and little seaside towns like Looe, Polperro and Mevagissey. My favourite times though were just being out and about in nature with my boys, exploring the woods and drinking in the changing colours of the season. It was 20 degrees on my birthday - that's never happened before! And I woke up to a hot cup of tea and this view...


It just seems like a few weeks ago that we were in Norfolk celebrating my 29th and I was so heavily pregnant we were scared to do much in case I popped. I look at my little man, his angelic face (even when he's being a monkey) and I can't quite believe how quickly this year is going. 

Thankfully those night feeds are a thing of the past and I don't often have to get up in the middle of the night to check on him, but I remember the times when I did. Changing his nappy in the cold, dark, lighting my way with the little colour changing candles we used in my labour. Harrison's face as he was mesmerised by the soft, colourful glow. And then sitting on the chair at the end of our bed, nursing him for what felt like forever, trying to stay awake whilst willing my newborn boy back to sleep. Getting up 10+ times in the night to soothe him and pop the dummy back in his mouth - what a revelation that was when he learnt to do that himself! How far our little adventurer has come, how far he will go. Everyday being with him makes my heart sing. 


No comments:

Post a Comment