Thursday 24 April 2014

Weaning

Since I last wrote we've had some big things happen with Harrison. Firstly, he got quite a serious ear infection and had to go to hospital. At first, we were told he'd be hooked up to an IV over the weekend but we were actually discharged from hospital later in the afternoon with just some ear drops, thank goodness. The ear infection was called Psuedomonas and is resistant to most antibiotics and can be very dangerous in babies or immune-compromised people if it spreads round the body. After many hospital appointments involving his ear being vacuumed out (or de-gunked as I like to put it) it seems to have gone away and he is back to his cheery little self.

Secondly, we have moved Harrison into his cot in the nursery. It was a very hard decision to make, and there were lots of tears on my part on being separated from my baby boy. But it was ultimately my decision and the right one I think. He was just getting too big for his Moses basket and thrashing around in it a lot, which woke me and him up. The transition has been difficult. We've had good nights and some truly terrible ones, but things seem to be levelling out now. The last few nights he's only woken once or twice and I've actually been able to get some sleep! A week or so ago we had 3 bad nights in a row where he woke every hour. I cannot begin to describe how awful I felt in the daytime - like a zombie. Sleep deprivation really is the worst! A few nights ago he went down at 9pm and woke up at 4:30am. Amazing you might think - apart from the fact I woke up every hour from 1am expecting him to start calling out for a feed. So he got a good nights sleep but I didn't - even though I could have. I've honestly forgotten what a good nights sleep feels like, where I don't need to wake up and see to my baby. The last two nights he's woken once, around 2:30am, had some milk and gone straight back to sleep (like the old days in his Moses basket). A couple of times he's stirred or woken himself up but has managed to self-soothe, which I hope he continues to do. 

Thirdly, we've started weaning! A little earlier than planned, due to the fact I have an operation to remove my wisdom tooth on his 6 month birthday. We started with some baby rice on Easter Monday...


... but no matter how much I added, it just wouldn't make a paste with my milk. So after a couple of days of offering just that once a day, I graduated him onto baby porridge...


... which he loves! So he has a few teaspoons of that for breakfast now after a milk feed. Then, on Saturday just gone, I made my first baby purée in my Beaba Babycook and Harrison had his first taste of organic sweet potato!


This went down very well. So I then gave him porridge for breakfast and a purée for dinner, with all of his usual milk feeds in between. Yesterday, I offered him see steamed carrot sticks, whilst I ate some raw ones in front of him. I thought I'd dabble in a bit of baby led weaning, see how he got on. Well, it wasn't much of a success. I know baby led weaning is very popular, but I was concerned about him choking, plus, no matter how many books I read, I still feel it's my responsibility as a parent to dictate what foods he eats, how much and when. 
I think Harrison agrees...


I ended up puréeing the carrots for his dinner so they didn't go to waste. Today I've introduced a bit of purée at lunchtime (he ate about a third of the pot) just to see how he would get on with it. I'm also offering some water in a sippy cup with his meals and encouraging him to take sips alongside spoonfuls of his food. He likes his sippy cup, but he finds the action of drinking from it 
funny and most of the water ends up down his front.

Weaning is really fun so far, I'm enjoying giving him new things to try (he's got butternut squash for dinner tonight - I wonder how he'll get on!) but at the same time, I'm a little sad by how quickly time is going. My baby boy is growing up so fast- in his own room, now experimenting with food... every milestone leaves a bittersweet taste in my mouth. Next week he will be 6 months old! How time flies...

No comments:

Post a Comment