Tuesday 26 March 2013

Our First Antenatal Clinic

Today I visited my GP for the second time. She is really nice and always remembers me and my medical history which I appreciate. I talked through some of my concerns and queries with her today including peanut butter and underwired bras! That made her laugh! Fortunately, it seems not wearing an underwired bra and not eating peanut butter during pregnancy are myths. I should be able to do both these things with little or no impact on the baby.

However, I may need an injection for typhoid when I go to Egypt and she said she will prescribe me a mild form of Valium to knock me out on the plane journey over there and back, which has made me feel lots better. Without a big shot of Jack Daniels to knock me out, I was worried I would get very stressed on the plane, which would in turn stress out poor Peanut. But, like a placebo, just knowing that I'll have something I can take is enough to make me not worry as much.

An old friend from school gave birth yesterday to a beautiful baby boy. I contacted her to wish her congratulations and, after talking for a bit, she mentioned that she'd lost a lot of blood and the delivery had not gone according to plan. That must have been terrible for her, but also, freaks me out big time! I'm trying very hard not to think about labour and how horrific it will be. If I dwell on it too much, it all gets a bit overwhelming.

The doctor mentioned for me to contact the National Childbirth Trust as they are a charitable organisation that provides antenatal classes and advice to expectant and new mums. I've just signed up on their website so I'm hoping I can find some women who are at the same stage in their pregnancies as me soon, it would be good to talk openly about my fears and concerns with women who are in the same position.

Still no morning sickness (yay!) but I am already detecting less than subtle changes to my body. I have gone up a whole cup size already! My boobs are now bigger than J's head! I'm not posting a picture though!

No comments:

Post a Comment