Sunday 2 August 2015

Summer 2015

Finding time to post is getting harder and harder. I can't believe my last post was back in May and now we're in August already! Summer is now well underway here and we're enjoying lots of trips to the British seaside, family days out and planning for our future.



In June we went to Crete for our first family holiday abroad. I don't relish flying at the best of times so this was a big challenge for my nerves, especially now I have our little pickle to worry about too. I'm very happy to report that H absolutely did us both proud on the flights there and back, spending at least an hour of the journey asleep and being as good as gold for the other 3 hours of the journey. Of course, we did nearly miss our flight out, but that's due to factors beyond our control (thanks Thomson for only having 2 check in desks open😁). 

Once we had checked into our hotel in Crete, the nerves and panic of the journey were soon forgotten. We had booked a family swim up suite which was beautiful, being situated in the corner of the resort with views over the sea. J and I shared a spacious double room and H was set up in the living room area in a travel cot. He had great fun exploring his new home from home and despite early misgivings, he settled well every night and slept throughout the night, every night. 



Overall we had a fantastic holiday with good food, quality time together as a family - and as a couple too as we used the resort nursery to look after H for an hour or two some of the days we were there. We left with lots of happy memories: the hot stone grill! Exploring the island on the land train! And this perfect sunset...


Updates with H...

He is now a very good conversationalist. When I pick him up from his cot in the morning he says 'hello mummy, how are you today?' and sometimes 'wow! A tiger! Roar!' as he shows me Dumdy Tiger. I love how he's learning to string simple sentences together and my heart swells with pride when he constructs a new sentence or is able to communicate something new to me 'Mummy! What's that sound? A plane!' 

With his newfound communication skills, he is also able to tell me when he doesn't want to do something, when he (*thinks*) he's finished his food and that he durable want his happy changed. So my days are often spent trying to reason with my 21 month old son, asking him to use his words rather than to lash out at me or his toys (which granted doesn't happen very often, but I'm quick to nip outbursts in the bud). The word discipline has cropped up in several of mine and J's conversations lately and I'm putting into practice lessons learned from watching years of 'Supernanny'. We have a Timeout area which he sits in when he's done something particularly naughty. I'm quite surprised that he actually sits and completes his Timeout quite tolerably. If anything he finds it novel and is constantly trying to catch my eye to entice a conspiratorial wink or smile which I try my hardest to avoid. But he's just so goddamn cute! Even when he's filled with mischief. Luckily for us, his naughty moments are few and far between (at the moment!) but both J and I really feel strongly that H needs to be taught how to behave towards others in a gentle, rational way. Sigh. This parenting gig can be tough.

H has also developed a love of rockets and all things space, in part nurtured by me as a way to get him to look forward to the plane journey. But yes totally run with it and now wants to watch the NASA channel on YouTube more than CBeebies! Here he is in his own short-lived cardboard rocket that J made for him.



In other news, I've slightly increased my hours at work, starting next week. It's all party of the 'grand plan' J and I have and whilst I will miss those extra few hours a week with H, I feel like he's at a stage where he can cope being without me for a few hours more. And I'll still be spending 4 days of the week with him, the majority of the time, which is what I'd always wanted.

Anyway, I shall try to update again soon. We have bought a potty, so the next update could be interesting...!

L x




No comments:

Post a Comment