Tuesday 30 April 2013

Second Trimester!

Yesterday I reached that all important 13 week turning point. I am now officially in my second trimester, which many books and websites say is the easiest, most relaxed part of pregnancy. For me, because this is my first child and I have no idea what to expect, I can't see the next few months being worry-free though!

A couple of nights ago I started feeling very mild cramping. I wasn't even sure if it was cramping, I just couldn't get comfortable and even laying down in our big comfy bed didn't seem to help. At first, I thought it was trapped wind (nice) but the twinges seemed to be located more in my womb than anywhere else. I was just very aware of any feeling happening in there. Naturally, my panic levels started to rise. But a quick search online stated that unless the cramps became severe or were accompanied by bleeding, they are perfectly normal. It's just my body starting to grow and stretch to accommodate Peanut as he/she grows big and strong.

But we have had an exciting turn of events this weekend. We told H our news! H is J's son from a previous relationship and the most adorable, grounded and bright 9 year old you could ever hope to meet. We are already so lucky to have him in our lives, having his acceptance of our news was very important to us.

He came round on Sunday. We sat him down and told him we have some important news. Then I said the words I have fantasised saying to him for the best part of a year, 'you're going to have another brother or sister'.

He was very shocked, 'I don't know what to say!' he said, wide-eyed on a rush of breath. He sat forwards and J rubbed his back, soothing him in case there were tears. We exchanged worried glances. But then he sat up and said 'I'm actually really excited, it will be really good'. J and I mentally sighed with relief.

We showed him all the photos from the scans. I explained how I'd been poorly so that's why there were so many pictures. H was fascinated, he asked to have a copy of the photo from the 12 week scan, which J happily sent him on his iPod touch. H even sent the photo to his mum, who text us with congratulations.

And then the news was out. The most important person we could ever share our joy with now knew, which meant we could share our wonderful news with everyone else. The obligatory post went up on Facebook. People spent the rest of the day congratulating us, wishing us well.

We went to the beach with my Dad and relaxed in the sunshine, though it was very windy. I read last week that November babies have the lowest risk of developing MS and the best immune systems, presumably because the mother gets a full dose of Vitamin D in her pregnancy, so I'm not going to fill guilty for sitting quietly in the sun, soaking up the rays! H played tennis and rounders with my Dad and J, giving him some much needed attention. It felt so good to have everything out in the open.

On the way back in the car, H turned to me and said, 'you know, the best thing about being pregnant is maternity leave' which made us burst out laughing! No prizes for guessing where he got that from!

Later, H and I went out into the garden at home to pollinate the flowers on the plum tree (or at least attempt to with paintbrushes). Although I can't remember word for word exactly what he said, he told me I'd make a good mum and that he saw me as his stepmum. I can't tell you how wonderful that was to hear from the little dude, I've always tried to do right by him and give him my love and attention. Knowing that he cares about me too is not only an amazing feeling, but a total surprise.

I told him that if Peanut turns out half as well as he has, I would be a very happy, lucky mummy indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment